Number of seats
The Teatro Argentina, owned by the Sforza Cesarini family, was inaugurated on 13 January 1732 with the opera Berenice by Domenico Sarro. But the place where the theater is located has in any case a more ancient history, in fact in correspondence to the current Argentina there was a large room called Curia Pompeii, where Julius Caesar was killed and that Augustus decided to build a wall. The veto did not last long, so much so that the ancient theater area was restored and remained in use until the fifth century after Christ. In the modern era, immediately after the lavish inauguration of the eighteenth century, Argentina immediately gained a leading role in the city’s theatrical offer. While welcoming performances of all kinds – often with dances and numbers on the rope, rarely comedies – throughout the eighteenth century the new theater, called to cope with a ruthless competition, opens up instead to the celebrated Carnival of Rome, very attended event and celebrated in the capital of the Papal States as in Venice with great pomp and popular involvement.
When in 1870 Rome became Capital, undergoing a transformation of urban importance of strong symbolic value – with the axis that connects Via Nazionale to Piazza Venezia and continues through Piazza Argentina to Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, thus sealing the conjunction between the secular city and the Vatican – Argentina is emblematically at the center of this road and social network. It is in this context of urban reorganization that the historic building is acquired by the city municipality that, in this way, endows itself with its own theater of institutional representation.
The LCF was chosen for the preparation of this historic theater. The armchairs provided have been entirely designed by our technical department, the product was born as custom but thanks to its versatility it came into production with the name Argentina.